REMINDER: Senator Susan Collins Voted To Enable The Republican Lawsuit That Would End The Health Care Law And Pre-Existing Conditions Protections
Here's what could happen is the GOP's health care lawsuit is successful:
- 70,000 Mainers could lose access to health care provided by Medicaid expansion.
- 548,300 Mainers with pre-existing conditions could have their health coverage threatened due to repeal of such protections.
- 171 million Americans could no longer be protected by caps on expensive health care treatments.
- 60 million Medicare beneficiaries, people who are 65 and older and people with disabilities, could face higher premiums.
- 2 million young adults who could be kicked off their parents’ health care plan.
Maine Democratic Party Chair Kathleen Marra issued the following statement:
“This irresponsible lawsuit that Senator Collins enabled with her votes and actions in Washington is a dire threat to health care for Mainers. By removing protections for pre-existing conditions she is putting the health and finances of tens of thousands of Mainers at risk. Senator Collins endorsed the arguments behind this legal attack from Republicans, she voted with her party to make this lawsuit possible, and she just cast the deciding vote against requiring the Trump administration to disclose the lawsuit’s effects on states like Maine. Our state deserves a Senator who will take real action to defend Mainers’ access to quality, affordable health care against partisan attacks.”