Collins has received her absentee ballot to vote in the presidential election, but continues to dodge questions about who she’s supporting
687 days ago, Senator Susan Collins made a decision: she would refuse to tell Mainers whether she’s voting for President Trump. Now—with just one day until Election Day, Senator Collins’ closest allies are admitting that even Collins’ own Republican base has been turned off by her refusal to be honest with voters.
In a new report on Republican GOTV operations from WMTW, GOP Chair Demi Kouzounas admitted that Republicans have been asking whether Senator Collins is voting for Trump and said, “we wish that folks understand that she votes with the Republican Party [about] 90% of the time."
If that statistic sounds familiar it’s because that’s the same thing Democrats have been saying for months: Senator Collins’ record paints a clear picture of her support for Trump:
- According to CQ, Senator Collins has voted with Trump 94% of the time.
- Trump has said he’s “100%” behind Collins’ campaign and has said he hopes “she does well.”
- Senator Collins has consistently helped shield Trump from accountability, including voting a dozen times to block witnesses and evidence before she voted to acquit him on all charges in the Senate impeachment trial.
- Senator Collins has been a critical vote for Trump’s priorities in the Senate, from backing the GOP tax giveaway to corporations and the wealthy to voting to confirm every single one of his judicial nominees in 2017 and 2018.
- Maine GOP Chair Demi Kouzounas has confirmed Collins and Trump “both support each other.”
“It doesn’t matter if you’re a Republican, a Democrat, or an independent voter—Mainers of all stripes expect our leaders to be honest with us about their stances on important issues,” said Maine Democratic Party Chair Kathleen Marra. “Senator Collins has spent the last 687 days refusing to tell the truth about who she believes should be leading the country for the next four years, and while her record makes it clear that she’s all in on Trump, her dishonesty is even more disqualifying.”