Collins has already requested an absentee ballot to vote in the presidential election, but continues to dodge questions about who she’s supporting
This Halloween in Maine, the biggest trick of them all will be played by Senator Susan Collins, who is trying to hoodwink Maine voters into forgetting about her support for President Trump. She has now refused to tell Mainers whether she’ll be voting to re-elect Trump for 685 days, and even though she has her absentee ballot in hand and the election is just three days away, she has committed to avoiding the question and any Mainers who wish to ask it until Election Day.
Collins’ decision to try to trick Maine voters has nothing to do with her Halloween spirit, it’s because she’s made a political calculation that it’s better for her if Mainers don’t know who she’s voting for. But Mainers won’t be distracted from her record:
- According to CQ, Senator Collins has voted with Trump 94% of the time.
- Trump has said he’s “100%” behind Collins’ campaign and has said he hopes “she does well.”
- Senator Collins has consistently helped shield Trump from accountability, including voting a dozen times to block witnesses and evidence before she voted to acquit him on all charges in the Senate impeachment trial.
- Senator Collins has been a critical vote for Trump’s priorities in the Senate, from backing the GOP tax giveaway to corporations and the wealthy to voting to confirm every single one of his judicial nominees in 2017 and 2018.
- Maine GOP Chair Demi Kouzounas has confirmed Collins and Trump “both support each other.”
“This Halloween, Senator Collins will try to distract Maine voters with her tricks, but we know that there’s nothing spookier than her record,” said Maine Democratic Party Executive Director Lisa Roberts. “She’s spent the last four years as a rubber stamp for Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell’s sinister policies, and that’s why Mainers are going to send her home on Tuesday.”