Shape the message. Get Dems elected.
The Maine Democratic Party seeks an energetic, creative full-time Communications Director. This individual will shape and execute internal and external communications, work with reporters, drive social media presence, and collaborate with a broad array of stakeholders to amplify the Democratic message.
Salary ranges from $50,000 - $60,000 with a generous benefits package, including paid time off, comprehensive medical and dental care, and more. While the position requires weekly travel to the Maine Democratic Party Augusta office, much work can be done remotely.
The Maine Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy and our core value to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.
- Strategically publicize the goals, platform, activities, and accomplishments of Democrats in the media and with key constituencies.
- Oversee a multidisciplinary department that drives proactive communications, rapid response messaging, and Party brand identity.
- Prepare and execute short and long-term communications plans.
- Maintain relationships with media professionals across the state.
- Serve as on-the-record spokesperson for the MDP, Party Chairperson, and other principals.
- Handle all media requests and prepare and disseminate communications tools such as press releases, op-eds, public statements, speeches, talking points, presentations, media advisories, briefings, and pitch ideas.
- Develop and execute press events with surrogates and elected officials.
- Work with the Democratic National Committee (DNC), campaigns, elected Democrats, and local Democratic Committees to coordinate press and communications strategy and assist as needed.
- Three years of professional work in communications, journalism, campaigns or a related area.
- Experience executing traditional and digital communications strategies.
- Excellent computer skills, grammatical and copy-editing skills, writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to think creatively and work collaboratively in a fast-paced team environment.
- Can manage and move forward multiple projects at once.
- Capacity to skillfully navigate competing priorities and adapt quickly to shifting environments.
- Bonus points for knowledge of NGP, VAN, Adobe Creative Suite, and other related software.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume, three writing samples, and three references into the Google Form application. Applications improperly submitted will not be accepted.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: The Maine Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.