The Maine Democratic Party seeks a Press Secretary & Communications Associate to assist in the daily operations, rapid response efforts, tracking operation, press events, research, long-term communications projects, and overarching communications strategy for the State Party for the 2020 cycle. The Press Secretary & Communications Associate will manage relationships with reporters and all traditional press inquiries. The position will also work with other communications and digital staff to assist in developing and implementing a media plan, increasing the quantity and quality of media coverage of the Party’s candidates, elected officials, issues, policy initiatives, and electoral and policy opponents, and improving the quantity and quality of internal Party communications. This position will report to the Communications Director or the Executive Director and work closely with the other Department Directors, consultants, Democratic State Committee members, volunteers, and interns.
- Organize media events and produce news releases, radio actualities, video presentations, guest opinions and issue summaries that will proactively advance Democratic issues, support Democratic officeholders and address the impact of Republican policies or officeholders.
- Compile press and issues information and writing briefings for party leaders and donors;
- Develop and disseminate in conjunction with other staff an email newsletter and/or other communications to local party committees;
- Serve as on-the-record spokesperson for the MDP, Party Chairperson, and other principals;
- Work with staff to manage difficult communications situations including crisis communications;
- Assist in producing copy for email and social media calendar, direct list-building initiatives, and other platforms;
- Assist in the preparation and execution of short and long-term communications plans;
- Provide media training for county party representatives, candidates, and volunteers;
- Submit Right‐To‐Know requests to request public records on controversial topics as well as Ethics Complaints to the State Ethics Commission;
- Work with DNC, campaigns and democratic committees to coordinate press and communications strategy and assist as needed.
- One or more years of professional work in communications, journalism, campaigns or related area;
- Excellent computer skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication, grammatical and copy-editing skills;
- Ability to think quickly in a fast-paced team environment and work collaboratively;
- A creative and innovative approach to design and political messaging;
- Experience writing press releases and other prepared statements;
- Experience executing digital and traditional communications strategies;
- Keen eye for identifying opportunities and potential risk;
- Knowledge of NGP, VAN, Adobe Creative Suite, and other related tools preferred;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Strong social media skills including high user knowledge of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube;
- The ability to work under tight deadlines and adapt quickly to changing work priorities.
HOW TO APPLY:
This is a full-time position. Salary ranges from $37,500 - $45,000 and includes a generous benefits package. To apply please submit your cover letter, resume, 3 writing samples, and three references into the google form application. Applications improperly submitted will not be accepted.
The Maine Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: The Maine Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.