The Maine Democratic Party (MDP) is hiring a Political Affairs and Training Director who will serve as the primary point of contact for local party committees, the State Committee, and allied organizations. The Political Affairs and Training Director will be responsible for developing and implementing training programs for multiple audiences including party leaders, staff, and activists. This includes leading all MDP efforts for the creation and implementation of the 2020 Municipal Caucuses, Delegate Selection, and Affirmative Action Plan, including assisting in efforts around the 2020 Presidential Convention. The Political Affairs and Training Director will report to the Executive Director, work collaboratively with senior staff, and be an integral member of the team that will ensure Democrats win in the complex and competitive political environment of the 2020 cycle.
Duties and Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
- Oversee strategy development and implementation of Run Local program in coordination with field team and county committees.
- Serve as the main point of contact of the MDP for State Committee (DSC), county and municipal leaders, and allied organizations.
- Maintain party records including DSC and County membership in VAN, municipal and elected database, and others as needed.
- Provide instruction and assistance to local party leaders on questions of Party rules, conflict management, and volunteer leadership.
- Prepare and assist in DSC meetings: working with the State Chair to plan meeting business, working with committee chairs to plan committee business, producing all materials necessary for the meeting, and managing the State Party’s resolutions process.
- Support planning and implementation for large events including: Municipal Caucuses, State Convention, National Convention, Training Summit(s) and others as needed.
- Assist in the management of the entire 2020 delegate selection process, including development of public education workshops and requisite materials, recruiting and training volunteers, ensuring local parties are complying with rules (and providing support as needed to ensure they are able to do so), and keeping all official records relating to the delegate selection process.
- Maintain and coordinate MDP’s internship and high school voter registration programs.
- Support the coordinated campaign with strategic planning and tactical training.
- Design and implement a training program for county committees, field team, and activists in coordination with the Executive and Organizing Directors.
- Find all national and state resources for training we can then pass on to the counties in their efforts to win elections.
- Visit each county party at least once a year to officer localized training.
- Build relationships with local leaders, key stakeholders and activists in preparation for the coordinated campaign.
Required Skills, Abilities, and Experience:
- Commitment to Democratic principles and Party
- Possess a strong knowledge of the structure and workings of the Democratic Party in Maine and nationally
- Highly organized and detail oriented problem solver
- Able to multitask in a fast-paced campaign environment
- Multiple cycles of organizing experience
- A good listener with strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Detail-oriented team player with the ability to juggle multiple roles
- Ability to maintain calm and positive demeanor under pressure
- Relationship-building, volunteer and management experience
- Previous experience working with VAN required and previous project management experience a plus
- Commitment to work through the 2020 cycle at a minimum
Salary ranges from $45,000 - $50,000 based on experience and generous benefits package including employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance.
This position reports directly to the Executive Director, and is based in our Augusta HQ.
To apply please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references here. Applications improperly submitted will not be accepted.
The Maine Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or gender.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: The Maine Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.