Ahead of Lara Trump and Corey Lewandowski’s appearance at a Maine Republican Party fundraiser tonight, Maine Democratic Party Chair Kathleen Marra released the following statement:
“Instead of asking Mainers for money, Donald Trump’s talking heads need to answer for the chaos of the last two months. Trump chose to downplay the pandemic, failed to contain the virus, and refused to get help to those who need it most. While Trump funnels federal relief to his friends and donors, more than 138,000 Mainers are out of work and small businesses across the state are fighting to stay afloat. Mainers know it didn’t have to be this bad, and we’re going to hold Trump accountable come November.”
BACKGROUND ON TRUMP’S CHAOTIC CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE
Promise: More than two months ago, Trump promised that “we’re deeply committed to ensuring that small businesses have the support they require.”
- Reality: Three quarters of U.S. small businesses applied for PPP loans -- the program authored by Susan Collins -- but only 7% had received funding by the end of April. While small businesses go without help, Trump has funneled relief money to well-connected friends and campaign supporters:
- More than $1 billion in funding meant for small businesses was handed to large corporations.
- The Trump administration delivered a nearly $800,000 PPP loan to a company whose largest shareholder is Trump’s campaign manager.
- A data firm for Trump’s campaign received a $2.85 million loan — nearly 14 times the PPP loan average.
- A Trump donor’s hotel — the biggest recipient of PPP funds — got $96.1 million meant for small businesses.
- Reality: Trump spent weeks ignoring his own advisors and downplaying the crisis. The United States now leads the world with more than 1.5 million cases. More than 94,000 Americans are dead and nearly 39 million are out of work—including an unprecedented 138,000 Mainers.
Promise: On March 6, Trump told reporters, “Anybody that wants a test can get a test.”
- Reality: Trump’s testing “strategy” would provide tests for just 2% of Mainers.
Promise: In a televised Oval Office address, Trump promised to marshal “the full power of the federal government and the private sector to protect the American people.”
- Reality: While experts warned of a coming pandemic, the Trump administration shipped nearly 18 tons of personal protective equipment (PPE) to China.