ICYMI: Collins' Approval Down "Significantly" After Voting for 32 Anti-Choice Judges
Collins has supported "over 90% of Trump's picks for federal judge positions, including 32 nominees who have indicated they oppose abortion rights"
Senator Susan Collins continues to face scrutiny for telling Mainers she's pro-choice while consistently voting the opposite. Notably, Collins has supported "over 90% of Trump’s picks for federal judge positions, including 32 nominees who have indicated they oppose abortion rights" - and now Roe v. Wade faces the threat of being overturned. This follows the trend of Collins having become a reliable vote for her party and special interests in Washington and voting with Trump 94 percent of the time, more than any other president throughout her entire career.
As Senator Collins continues to vote against Mainers' reproductive rights, voters continue to turn on her - recent polling showed her approval rating at a record low that earned around the clock coverage and "her net approval has fallen by 27 points over the last two years."
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
HuffPost: Senator Susan Collins Keeps Voting For Donald Trump’s Anti-Abortion Judges
June 5, 2019
- Collins "says she’s pro-choice, but she’s voted to confirm dozens of judges who have signaled their opposition to abortion rights."
- Collins "has supported over 90% of Trump’s picks for federal judge positions, including 32 nominees who have indicated they oppose abortion rights"
- Collins also voted for nine of Trump’s apparently anti-choice district court nominees. Kenneth Bell, who she voted to confirm as a U.S. district judge for the Western District of North Carolina last month, wrote an op-ed in 1995 that attacked what he called the 'indefensibility of the abortion rights position.'
- "Michael Truncale, while running for Congress in 2012, boasted on his campaign website that he’s a supporter of 'strong pro-life and pro-family values.' Collins voted to confirm him as a U.S. district judge for the Eastern District of Texas last month.
- Collins also voted for 21 circuit court judge nominees whose past comments align with groups seeking to limit women’s reproductive rights, including Kurt Engelhardt as a U.S. circuit judge for the 5th Circuit. Engelhardt was a member of the Louisiana Lawyers for Life, an advocacy group that provides legal support to the state’s pro-life movement"
- "Though Trump repeatedly stated that he planned to nominate justices with the intention of overturning Roe v. Wade, the 1973 ruling that made abortion legal in all 50 states, Collins voted to confirm both of his nominees ― Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh ― to the Supreme Court. ... Kavanaugh’s confirmation has tilted the Supreme Court further to the right, emboldening anti-abortion rights activists and laying the foundation for a potential legal battle over Roe v. Wade."
- Maine Beacon: Collins votes to confirm three anti-choice judges, opposes one
- Maine Beacon: Sen. Collins backed series of Trump nominees whose policies she condemns
- E&E News: Kavanaugh vote overshadows Susan Collins' path to 5th term
- Roll Call: Only 13 Mainers gave $200 or more to Susan Collins
- Boston Globe: Senator Susan Collins is feeling the heat