The Maine Democratic Party (MDP) is looking for an enthusiastic, politically engaged future leader for a Data and Technology Internship! MDP interns will get hands-on experience with substantive work while learning the fundamentals of working in campaign politics.
The MDP Data and Technology intern will learn about and work with cutting edge political data and technology. As data informs nearly every aspect of a modern political campaign, the intern will also gain exposure to the operations of the Organizing, Digital, and Development departments. The ideal intern is goal-oriented, data-driven, and able to juggle multiple priorities at once. The intern will be expected to spend 50% of their working time in-office (Augusta or Portland) and 50% remote.
- Clean, format, and organize data from a variety of sources
- Assist the Data Director in administering the VoteBuilder database
- Use SQL or another programming language to query large datasets
- Create original reports and data visualizations under the supervision of the Data Director
- Assist in maintaining MDP information technology infrastructure
- Train non-technical users on technical concepts and tools
- Other duties as assigned
- Absolute commitment to the mission, values, and goals of the Democratic Party
- Access to a computer and reliable transportation
- Demonstrated interest in political data and analysis
- Familiarity with, or proficiency in Excel and/or Google Sheets
- Knowledge of, or strong desire to learn, a programming language commonly used with large datasets such as SQL, Python, or R
- Experience using data visualization tools such as Google Data Studio, Tableau, or ArcGIS
- Experience using Votebuilder/VAN on a candidate or issue campaign
NOTE: All experience levels will be considered for this internship - don’t worry if you can’t check every single box above!
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter and three (3) references here. Applications improperly submitted will not be accepted.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: The Maine Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.