The Maine Democratic Party seeks a talented Voter Protection Organizer to support the Voter Protection team’s work:
- Building a strong team of volunteer attorneys and advocates to defend every Mainer’s right to vote, as well as a robust lay volunteer corps to answer ballot access questions;
- Supporting the efficient operation of polling places on and before Election Days, so voting is easy, fast, and secure; and
- Fostering a voter-education and policy landscape conducive to voter registration, high turnout, and proper ballot counting
Our right to vote is fundamental—and when the electorate is expanded, Democrats win. The Voter Protection Organizer role is a crucial role to ensure every eligible Mainer is able to cast their ballot in 2020.
What You’ll Do
As our Voter Protection Organizer, you will be expected to do one or both of the following:
Volunteer Management and Hotline Operations Oversight
- Help recruit a robust team of volunteer attorneys and advocates who will serve as Poll Watchers and Hotline Boiler Room team members for Election-Day incident response.
- Help recruit a broad base of lay volunteers to be the front line answering Hotline inquiries between now and each Election Day (March 3 primary, June 9 primary, and Nov 3 general)
- Assist Voter Protection Director with volunteer training and ongoing shift management.
- Develop competencies for complements to the phone Hotline, e.g. text messaging, email, and social media DM
For this work, fluency in VAN and Mobilize is highly preferred.
Local Election Official Liaising and Problem-Solving
- Oversee and coordinate local (county and municipal) Voter Protection Leads to maintain relationships with Elections Officials (EOs) in key target areas
- Directly and with VoPro Leads, collect information from local EOs about their plans and preparedness for Election Days (and advance absentee voting) to identify potential areas of concern and work to correct them
- Ensure Maine Democratic Party presence at vote canvasses, poll worker trainings, and other local elections meetings
For this work, relationships with local stakeholders in Maine is highly preferred.
Additionally, All VPOs Will:
- Cultivate relationships with community organizations and other allies, including faith organizations, colleges and universities, and local business leaders to recruit volunteers and educate voters.
- Use digital tools to engage new volunteers, educate voters, highlight our work on the ground, and combat online disinformation.
- Support advancing legislative and executive policy improvements to Maine’s ballot access landscape
- Report timely and accurate data to the Voter Protection Director.
Who You Are
We’re seeking a detail-oriented do-er that can handle a high volume of work with a problem-solving spirit of yes.
Political organizing experience and broad-based stakeholder relationships in Maine are preferred but not required.
Additionally, our ideal candidate will identify as:
- Highly organized, data-driven leader. The ideal candidate has at least one cycle of organizing experience and with a proven track record of juggling competing priorities in a changing environment without dropping balls. They have demonstrated experience in managing volunteers, planning and executing events, and moving projects forward. They are comfortable using data to inform decision-making strategy, appreciate the importance of reporting clean and accurate data, and possess a strong attention to detail.
- Strong cross-team collaborator. The ideal candidate communicates with stakeholders early and often, closes the loop quickly on outstanding issues, and manages up and across to their colleagues, manager, and other team leaders.
- Strong situational communicator, skilled at building bridges across lines of difference. The ideal candidate carefully adapts their written and verbal communications to meet the needs and preferences of a diverse group of stakeholders. They carefully craft tailored messages to each of the audiences they mobilize to action.
- Self-starter who is highly skilled at managing up. The ideal candidate knows how to leverage limited manager or leader time to get the information needed to move decisions, and the work, forward.
- Committed to Democratic values
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $36,000 - $40,000, commensurate on the quality and breadth of experience the successful candidate brings to the table, and includes a generous benefits package. To apply please submit your cover letter, resume, and three references into the google form application. Applications improperly submitted will not be accepted.
The Maine Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.
Please send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Voter Protection Organizer” in the subject line.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: The Maine Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.