The Maine Democratic Party (MDP) is seeking to hire an Executive Director to oversee all programmatic, fundraising and operational activities of the state party. This work includes, but is not limited to, election-based activities, fundraising, budgeting, staff management and retention, communications, outreach, and building of Party infrastructure. This position has a wide range of responsibilities, serving as a trusted advisor to and strategic asset for the Chair of the Party, its elected and party officials, its candidates, and leaders across the state. The Executive Director’s management of the personnel and operations of the MDP is overseen by the Party Chair and the Democratic State Committee (DSC) Executive Committee.
Over the next two years the MDP will continue to grow as an organization that wins highly consequential elections up and down the ballot. With new leadership comes a new vision for our Party, refocusing on the core fundamentals that move the needle. To do this, MDP is focusing its organizational efforts on three core buckets of work: building the bench and contesting local elections, party building in rural and BIPOC communities, and building the capacity and skills of our local committees. These investments will be critical to our ability to elect individuals who share our values and will govern accordingly.
In 2022, Maine will be a gubernatorial battleground with the re-election of Governor Janet Mills at the top of the ticket. Equally important is the need to keep our federal delegation blue, grow our majorities in the State Legislature, and win municipal and county-wide races across the state. As such, the MDP is seeking an experienced individual to take the helm as Executive Director and lead the party to victory in 2022 and beyond.
Including, but not limited to):
Day to Day Operations
- Serve as the chief strategic and tactical executive of the Maine Democratic Party;
- Manage all staff and interns, including conducting annual performance reviews.
- Manage the successful implementation of external and internal communications plans including press releases, responding to time-sensitive media events, and presenting the Democratic Party in a positive, professional light;
Finance & Fundraising
- Work with the Finance Director and Finance Committee to develop an operating budget, manage the organization’s finances, track income and expenditures, pay bills, and maintain records and accounts in order to produce financial stability;
- Develop, implement, and monitor a fundraising plan in conjunction with MDP Development Director, Party Chair and other staff and stakeholders;
Party Affairs & Elections
- Assist the Chair in the launching and managing two essential ad hoc committees: Diversity Equity and Inclusion and 2022 Caucus and Convention Ad Hoc Committees;
- Work with the Chair to manage political relationships both in-state and around the country with Democratic Party leaders, Democratic campaigns, elected officials, key constituencies, allied organization and donors;
- Liaise with the staffs of the Democratic National Committee (DNC), the Association of State Democratic Chairs (ASDC), and the Association of State Democratic Executive Directors (ASDED);
- Develop, implement and maintain programs that focus on building the bench and developing the capacity of local committees;
- Organize the calendar and logistics for all meetings of the Democratic State Committee, Executive Committee and Finance Committee;
- Lay the groundwork for the 2022 Coordinated Campaign efforts deploying a clear understanding of all aspects of winning elections including state-of the-art campaign techniques, new technology, campaign planning, targeting, polling, election law, grassroots/issue-based mobilizing and get-out-the-vote programs;
- Oversee development and production of party-building and message delivery tools, including print and digital.
While no one candidate will possess all the qualifications listed below, the ideal candidate will embody many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Ideally five (5) years of professional nonprofit, business or political management experience;
- Ideally two full cycles (4 years) in a leadership role in major statewide races or state-based organizations that are political or do issue-based work;
- Managed teams with multiple direct reports and a demonstrated ability to achieve high levels of performance and outcomes;
- Managed budget(s) over $1M and demonstrated success in fundraising and knowledge of donor networks;
- Proven track record of organizational planning for strategy and program;
- A reputation for leading with integrity and making decisions with the input of the appropriate stakeholders;
- Conflict and crisis management experience with proven, clear decision-making ability;
- Knowledge and understanding of political dynamics within Maine.
- Able to multitask and juggle multiple, often competing priorities without losing focus or letting something slip through the cracks;
- Clear, effective, high-quality writer and communicator;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships;
- Well organized and detail oriented;
- Digital by nature - a natural with a smartphone, iPad, tablet, and laptop - monitoring email and social media in real time is intuitive;
- Highly communicative and responsive to internal and external requests;
- Invested in growing the Maine Democratic Party, our local committees, and living our Democratic values personally and professionally;
- Committed to the values and practices of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
This position will require evening and weekend work as well as some travel. The Executive Director must be (or become) a full-time Maine resident and a registered Maine Democrat. This is not a remote position, although the interview process will be conducted remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The MDP offices are based in Augusta, Maine.
HOW TO APPLY:
This is a full-time position that offers a generous benefit package and competitive salary commensurate with experience. To apply please submit your cover letter, resume, and three references into the google form application. Applications improperly submitted will not be accepted. Please send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Executive Director Position.” This job posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: The Maine Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.