The Maine Democratic Party seeks a Communications Director to lead the daily operations, tracking operation, press events, long-term communications projects, and overarching communications strategy for the State Party. The Communications Director will work with reporters and collaborate with the Digital Director to drive earned media coverage. The Communications Director will report to the Executive Director and work closely with the other Department Directors, consultants, Democratic State Committee members, volunteers, and interns.
- Effectively publicize the goals, platform, activities, and accomplishments of the State Party with the news media and key constituency groups through traditional and social media;
- Proactively oversee a multidisciplinary department that manages all communications requests, rapid response communications, and the tracking operation;
- Prepare and execute short and long-term communications plans;
- Maintain relationships with media professionals across the state;
- Serve as on-the-record spokesperson for the MDP, Party Chairperson, and other principals;
- Handle all media requests and prepare and disseminate communications tools such as press releases, op-eds, public statements, speeches, talking points, presentations, media advisories, briefings, and pitch ideas;
- Develop and execute press events with surrogates and elected officials.
- Collaborate with senior staff on email and social media calendar, list-building initiatives, and maintain content for the website and multiple social media platforms in collaboration with a consultant team;
- Submit Right‐To‐Know requests to request public records on controversial topics as well as Ethics Complaints to the State Ethics Commission;
- Work with DNC, campaigns and democratic committees to coordinate press and communications strategy and assist as needed.
- Three years of professional work in communications, journalism, campaigns or related area;
- Excellent computer skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication, grammatical and copy-editing skills;
- Ability to think quickly in a fast-paced team environment and work collaboratively;
- Experience executing traditional and digital communications strategies;
- Keen eye for identifying opportunities and potential risk;
- Knowledge of NGP, VAN, Adobe Creative Suite, and other related software preferred;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; and
- The ability to work under tight deadlines and adapt quickly to changing work priorities.
HOW TO APPLY:
This is a full-time position. Salary ranges from $50,000 - $60,000 and includes a generous benefits package. To apply please submit your cover letter, resume, three writing samples, and three references into the google form application. Applications improperly submitted will not be accepted.
The Maine Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: The Maine Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.